To make this Thalassery Chicken Biryani Recipe, cut it into 8 large slitted pieces (I took chicken drumsticks (8 pieces), mixed with turmeric powder (half a teaspoon), chili powder (half a teaspoon), and salt)
Ingredients for Chicken Masala
Chicken – 1 kg
Onion – 4, large, finely chopped
Green chili – 2, chopped
Garlic and ginger paste – 2 tablespoons
Tomatoes – 2, large, chopped
Curd – quarter cup
Garam Masala powder – 1 tablespoon
Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
Black pepper powder: half a teaspoon
Coriander powder: half a teaspoon
Ghee: half a cup for garnish + a few small spoons
Lemon juice – 2 teaspoons
Sliced mint – quarter cup
Chopped coriander – quarter cup
Ghee for rice
Basmati rice – 2 cups (Cama or Zirakla rice preferred)
Cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, cardamom – 2 or 3 each
Ghee – 2 tablespoons
Salt: as required
Water (3 cups
- Cashew and chopped or sliced almonds
- Saffron mixed in 2 tablespoons of hot milk (optional)
Clean and dry the chicken pieces well. Mix the chicken pieces with half a teaspoon of turmeric powder, half a teaspoon of chili powder, and salt. This is only optional, but I prefer the marinated chicken to make biryani masala. Keep aside when you’re done.
Now heat a large pot to make chicken masala. Add ghee when the pot is hot (you can also use a combination of sunflower oil and ghee)
Fry cashews, raisins, and almonds (optional) and reserve. Now fry the chopped onions into bats. Do not fry the onions altogether. For a crispy texture, you need to deep fry in batches. When you reserve.
Now add chopped tomatoes in the same oil/ghee and cook until matki arrives. Now add the chopped green chili, the garlic and ginger paste and fry until the raw smell disappears.
When done, add marinated chicken pieces or chicken thighs with the required salt. Mix well and cover and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat. Do not cook pieces of chicken.
Meanwhile, we can make the Ghee Rice.
- Wash the rice until the water is clean. Dry it thoroughly and reserve.
- Heat the ghee in another pot or skillet and add the whole spices given above.
- Fry for a minute and then add dry rice.
- Fry 5 minutes over medium heat. For this, add salt and 3 cups of hot water (3 cups). The amount of water is taken according to the rice taken.
- 1 cup of rice = 1.5 cups of hot water.
- Mix well and add a few tablespoons of chicken masala sauce for a good taste.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook until the water is completely absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Now in the chicken sauce, add the chili powder, coriander powder, lemon juice, curd, garam masala powder, black pepper powder, medium fried onion, one teaspoon of butter, and give it a fine mix.
- Cook for 8 minutes until chicken is 80% cooked. When you are done, layer the rice and chicken.
LAYERING / ASSEMBLING
- Sprinkle half a layer of cooked rice, some fried onions over the cooked chicken masala, then add cashews and fried raisins, finally some chopped mint leaves and coriander.
- Spread leftover cooked rice over it, sprinkle some fried onions again, then some cashews and fried raisins, top with mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- Finally, sprinkle a little butter and then a little milk mixed with saffron. Close the pot tightly—Cook over low heat for 30 – 40 minutes.
- When done, mix the chicken masala and rice. Serve this delicious flavored rice dish garnished with leftover fried onions, raisins, and cashews with raita, pickles, and potatoes.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 1260kcal
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 248mg
- Fat: 24g
- Carbohydrates: 136g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 50g
- Cholesterol: 189mg
Keywords: Thalassery Chicken Biryani Recipe